Specially for our students, we invented a "To-Do List" of what you need to do before or during your first year as a student in Holland:
Finish your application
- Send us a digital copy of your diploma and its official translation. Some universities also would like to receive your diploma via regular post. Deadline: 01.08.2016.
- If you haven't send us your English proficiency test, then you also need to do it before 01.08.2016.
- Payment of tuition fee. There are couple of ways to do it - at once or in installments, from your country's bank account or from a Dutch bank account.
- Find accomodation.
- Get a European Health Card.
- Get a translation or multilingual birth certificate.
- Save emergency phone numbers in case something happens with you during your stay in Holland.
Prepare yourself for your classes
- Check or buy a new laptop.
- Check what kind of books you will need. A tip: you can buy old books from other students, for this reason, check FB group of your university for latest adds.
- Sign up and prepare for the orientation week at the university.
- Learn a few words and phrases in Dutch. You can use the application Hoi Holland.
- Meet other students, with whom you will be studying. You can find them at different FB groups for international students of your future university.
- Open a Dutch bank account.
- Register at the local municipality and get a BSN number.
- Apply for tuition fee loan if applicable and if needed.
- Organize your mobile connection. You can buy a Dutch sim card and charge it when needed or you can sign up a contract with local provider.
- Buy a bike and/or transport card.
We know that student life in Holland may seem stressful and hard at first sight. However, we advise you to be patient and in a couple of months you will see that you will find your own way and feel much more confident. If you have any questions and/or issues, you can always go to the student office of your university with them. Officers there are working to help you with you with your issues and are always very friendly.